Effective Date: May 31, 2018
Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with our Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice applies to all webpages on www.ulprospector.com and www.iq.ulprospector.com (collectively referred to as the "Site") offered by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. or its subsidiaries or affiliated companies (collectively referred to as "UL"). The first part of this Privacy Notice details our general privacy practices for visitors of the Site. The second part outlines specific privacy practices applying to registered members of the Site, which may be different from the general privacy practices. YOUR USE OF THE SITE CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF UL's PRIVACY NOTICE.
GENERAL PRIVACY PRACTICES
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide- When you sign up for access to UL's online resources (including any customer applications), download documents or complete online forms, we may ask you for certain personal information. You may be asked to provide personal information such as: Name, company name, title, function, e-mail address, address and certain demographic information.
- Web beacons- Web pages may contain electronic images (called a "single-pixel GIF" or "web beacon") that allow a web site to count users who have visited that page or to access certain cookies. We use web beacons to track the effectiveness of an email campaign and to transfer an individual's unique user identification (often in the form of a cookie) and associate your updated information into our database. Our practice is to include web beacons in HTML-formatted email messages (messages that include graphics) that we send directly or through third parties in order to determine, among many other items, which email messages were opened and to note whether a message was acted upon. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a web page, including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon.
- Log information- When you access the Site via a browser, application or other client, our servers automatically record certain information. This may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account. To the extent that IP addresses or similar identifiers are considered personal information by local law, we treat these identifiers as personal information. Similarly, to the extent that non-personal information is combined with personal information, we treat the combined information as personal information for the purposes of this Privacy Notice.
Since the use of new technology including cookies, web beacons, and other technology is rapidly evolving, as is our use of new and evolving technology, we may change or use additional or new technology from time to time. You are encouraged to visit this page for any updates regarding these new technologies.
NO INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM MINORS
MINORS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 SHOULD NOT PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR OTHER INFORMATION, INCLUDING THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS, TO UL THROUGH THE SITE. THE SITE DOES NOT KNOWINGLY ACCEPT PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR OTHER DATA FROM ANY SUCH USERS OF ITS WEBSITES AND/OR ANY THIRD PARTIES.
HOW WE USE THIS INFORMATION
- The information we collect allows us to keep you posted on UL's latest announcements and upcoming events and we may send you information on programs and services that we believe may be of interest to you. We will obtain your consent prior to such communications as required by applicable law. It also helps us to improve our services, content and communications. If you don't want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime through the process outlined in the "Opting Out" section below.
- We also use information we collect to help us develop, deliver, improve and provide you with our services, content and communications. We may use this information to complete any orders or fulfill any order requests, including enabling investigations of products.
- We may use your information to send important notices or communications regarding services you have ordered from UL, even if you have opted out from our marketing communications.
- We may use your information to fulfill any subscription requests, send you an e-mail confirming your subscription, and from time to time send you information for the purpose of informing you of any change or additions to any subscriptions.
- We may also use information we collect for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis and research to improve UL's products, services, and customer communications.
- We may collect, use, transfer and disclose non-personal information (i.e., data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual) for any purpose.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
You can choose which, if any, of our online resources you wish to participate in. UL only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of UL in the following limited circumstances:
- We provide such information to our subsidiaries, affiliated companies or other trusted businesses or persons for the purpose of processing or fulfilling any orders on our behalf, or providing other services on our behalf, including marketing. We require that these parties agree to process such information based on our instructions and in compliance with this Privacy Notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
SAFEGUARDING YOUR INFORMATION
UL uses commercially reasonable efforts to employ security measures designed to protect your personal information from access by unauthorized persons. These include, but are not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL). While UL endeavors to protect your personal information, UL cannot warrant the security of any personal information, and ultimately you provide your personal information to us at your own risk.
You may receive communications from UL, regarding product information, marketing or promotions, announcements and upcoming events, and/or other topics if you have opted in to receiving such communications. You may opt-out of promotional email communications from us by clicking on a link provided in our promotional email messages or sending us an email at email@example.com. After opting-out, you will no longer receive marketing or promotional communications but will continue to receive other messages, such as important notices or communications regarding services you have ordered from UL.
Our Web site offers publicly accessible blogs. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them.
LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
This Privacy Notice applies to UL services only. Our Site includes links to other Web sites whose privacy practices may differ from those of UL. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy statements. We do not exercise control over third-party websites, nor do links to these websites imply that UL is affiliated with the linked site. These other sites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy statement of any Web site you visit.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
ACCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
For many of our services, we provide mechanisms for you to update your personal information. You may access and update your personal information by logging into your accounts on any applications to which you've been granted access. You are responsible for updating your personal information.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY notice
UL reserves the right to modify, amend, or update, this Privacy Notice at any time and for any reason without notice to you. Any such modifications, amendments, updates or deletions will be effective immediately upon posting. Your continued use of the Site after such posting shall be deemed to constitute acceptance by you of the changes.
Any materials published on the Site may refer to products, programs, or services that are not available in your country. Consult your local UL business contact in this regard.
The Site is hosted by UL from the United States. If you provide personal information to us, it may be transferred to and processed on computers in the United States and other countries. Your provision of personal information to us will be handled in accordance with this Privacy Notice. Your provision of personal information to us through the Site means that you agree to the terms of this Privacy Notice.
UL makes no representation that the Site is appropriate or available for use at other locations outside of the United States. Access to the Site from territories where the Site's content is illegal is prohibited. If you access the Site from a location outside of the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws. You may not use the Site or export information and materials in violation of the export laws of the United States or any other country.
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California law permits customers of UL who are California residents to request and receive the identity of any third parties to whom UL has disclosed personal information within the previous calendar year, along with the type of personal information disclosed, for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. For general Site visitors that are not registered members, UL does not share your personal information with such third parties unless you are first given the opportunity to opt-out from such sharing, so this requirement does not apply. For registered members of the Site, please see the Privacy Practices for Registered Members section below.
If you have questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us at:
Att: Data Privacy Director
33 Westland Square, Pearse Street
Dublin 2, Ireland
PRIVACY PRACTICES FOR REGISTERED MEMBERS
PERSONAL DATA USAGE AND PRIVACY
UL collects limited non-sensitive personal data when you register for access to the Site as a member or subscriber. No child data or convictions data is required or intentionally collected. Data collected includes: your name, your business email address, your business postal address, your business telephone number, your professional title, and interests you express in different products and services. UL then links that to data about the way you use the Site and the pages you visit.
Personal data and site usage data is processed for the following purposes. You are agreeing to these purposes when you tick the Terms and Conditions box.
UL data use that is necessary to fulfill obligations in the member and subscriber agreement:
|What we do||Why we do it|
Collecting personal data to create and manage a unique member account.
To control unrestricted access to UL proprietary content and safeguard against intellectual property theft and malicious misuse. Also to understand how different types of users interact with our sites to enable us to manage site access on-going and improve both site functionality and content.
Collecting personal data to create and manage subscriber accounts and enable payment for subscription services
Some premium UL site content will only be available to paid subscribers. Depending on payment means, some additional personal data may be collected to facilitate upgrade to a subscriber account, payment for subscriptions, and on-going management of subscriber accounts.
Using member and subscriber voluntary feedback provided via UL websites
UL places great value on the feedback provided by our customers. Your member or subscriber data will be linked to feedback provided to enable an initial response and, where you agree, invitations to participate in future feedback sessions.
Using website visitor data for web traffic analysis to enable site performance monitoring
Collecting data like your IP address and the kind of device you use to connect to UL sites, enables us to both protect the sites, technically tailor content, and monitor for any performance issues.
Using website visitor data linked to cookies to enable site functionality
Marketing and Sharing Data:
UL exists to make the world a safer place, including putting customers in touch with suppliers of good quality and safe products and services. Originally this was done via a paper directory of UL certified goods and services, now that happens via our websites. An inherent part of that business model is marketing our service and sharing customer data with UL client companies to enable their follow up sales and marketing activity. These activities are viewed as legitimate UL interests. You are agreeing to these data uses when you tick the Terms and Conditions box.
Types of recipient companies include:
Suppliers of UL certified products and services listed on Product iQ
Suppliers of products and services listed on Prospector, including their distributors that may send product samples or otherwise follow up on products or services the member has expressed an interest in
Any transfers of personal data to a third country outside of the European Economic Area will include appropriate safeguards such as standard contractual clauses approved by the EU Commission (available at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32010D0087 )
|What we do||Why we do it|
Analysing member, subscriber, and site usage data to improve site content and non-targeted marketing
UL will use data about members and non-members, including some personal data, to develop and improve general marketing campaigns and the way all site content is presented.
Using member and subscriber contact details to email updates about certifications, products, and services they have shown an interest in.
UL will periodically update both members and subscribers about products, services, and certifications that they have expressed an explicit or implicit interest in. They might have indicated such an interest by visiting relevant content on the site, requesting further information, or indicating an interest when subscribing. Note that receipt of our periodic communications is required for membership.
Sharing member, subscriber, and site usage details with UL client companies who provide products or services that the member or subscriber expressed an interest in
UL sells member and subscriber details to companies who provide goods and services that those members or subscribers have implicitly or explicitly expressed an interest in during site registration, or site use. Note that this use is required for membership.
The companies who receive those details are required to limit usage to the purposes agreed with UL at the time of collection, or notify you should there be any substantial change in planned usage.
UL using member and subscriber contact details to create direct email marketing campaigns.
UL will create mailing lists of members and subscribers based on the goods and services they have expressed an explicit or implicit interest in during site registration or use.
The lists will be used by UL to create direct email marketing campaigns that UL will carry out as a paid service offered to client companies.
Should you object to your data being shared and used in this way please either contact UL through the Contact Us button on the Site, or contact the client firm directly through the methods provided when contacting you. You may also update your preferences and your member information by accessing your Member Account page on the Site.
UL retains member data for as long as you are a member of the Site and will delete it within a reasonable period upon termination of your membership. While UL is in possession of personal data it is protected from loss, disclosure, or theft by security controls designed to mitigate existing risks. Any concerns may be addressed to our Data Privacy Director at email@example.com or you have the right to lodge a complaint with appropriate supervisory authorities.