Antioxidants, chelants, preservatives, and UV absorbers are key materials needed to maintain product quality and stability. Currently, there is a high level of interest in finding natural or nature-identical alternatives to synthetic product stabilizers. In some cases, these natural alternatives can outperform their synthetic counterparts.
- Sodium citrate (EU) is a natural based chelant (EU) produced by fermentation.
- NanoChem C-LC/SD-PC (Sodium Polyaspartate) by Nanochem Solutions. Distributed by Deckner Consulting Services.
This is a natural polymeric chelant synthesized from fermentation produced L-aspartic acid with a subsequent heating to polymerize. The material also has excellent skin moisturizing and hair conditioning properties.
EU: NanoChem C-LC/SD-PC | Deckner Consulting Services
- Sodium Phytate by An Kang Shi Mao Biotech Co. Distributed by Deckner Consulting Services.
Phytate is the principal storage form of phosphorus in many plant tissues, especially bran and seeds. Sodium phytate is a natural water-soluble chelator that can replace EDTA salts. Sodium phytate also has moisturizing, skin lightening, and oil control properties. It is also useful to help stabilize avobenzone.
EU: Sodium Phytate
- RonaCare® Rutinsulfate (Disodium Rutinyl Disulfate) by EMD
This water-soluble derivative of Rutin has UVA absorption activity. It can significantly increase SPF and may stabilize UV sensitive materials.
- Pongamia Extract (Pongamol) by Givaudan
Pongamia Extract is a natural UV absorber (EU) with broad UVA A/B absorption and SPF boosting properties. Pongamia is structurally similar to avobenzone but more photostable. It also has proven antioxidant properties.
EU: Pongamia Extract | Givaudan
- Symsave® H (Hydroxyacetophenone) by Symrise
This nature-identical, multi-functional ingredient has antioxidant activity and skin soothing properties. It can also act as an emulsion stabilizer and boost the efficacy of various preservatives like phenoxyethanol.
EU: Symsave® H | Symrise
- Rosamox™ Z (Propanediol and Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract) by Kemin
Rosamox Z is a natural antioxidant (EU) based on rosemary. It is a natural replacement for BHT and is an effective alternative to mixed tocopherols. The active components are believed to be rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid, which may also help increase preservation.
- Speramox (Maltodextrin, Mentha Spicata (Spearmint) Leaf Extract) by Kemin
Speramox is a natural antioxidant from spearmint leaves that have been processed using a gentle water extraction. As a water-soluble antioxidant, it can maintain color stability of both natural and synthetic colors. In addition, it can prevent oxidative degradation of fats and oils in oil-in-water emulsion systems.
- Covi-ox® T90C (Tocopherol) by BASF contains a natural blend of mixed tocopherol isomers. The blend has better antioxidant properties than the pure synthetic dl alpha type.
Natural or Nature-Identical Preservatives
- Benzyl alcohol (EU) and phenethyl alcohol (EU)
- O-Cymen-5-OL (NET-DTB) by Barnet Products
This thymol isomer is globally approved and has antioxidant activity.
- Polylysine by JNC America
This is a water-soluble cationic peptide with an MW of 4700 that is produced by fermentation. It is a GRAS material that has been used for 20 years in foods.
- Nisaplin® (Nisin) by Danisco
This polycyclic antibacterial peptide has 34 amino acid residues and is used as a food preservative (EU). It is produced by fermentation and is effective against most gram-positive organisms.
- Evosina® (Sodium Usnate) by MMP International
Evosina is a naturally occurring dibenzofuran derivative found in several lichen species that is very effective against gram-positive organisms.
The views, opinions and technical analyses presented here are those of the author or advertiser, and are not necessarily those of ULProspector.com or UL. The appearance of this content in the UL Prospector Knowledge Center does not constitute an endorsement by UL or its affiliates.
All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced without prior authorization from UL or the content author.
The content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. While the editors of this site may verify the accuracy of its content from time to time, we assume no responsibility for errors made by the author, editorial staff or any other contributor.
UL does not make any representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness or completeness of the content. UL does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of sites listed or linked to in any content.
Leave a Reply or Comment